16 July 2012

Review: The Duff by Kody Keplinger

Book: The Duff by Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy
Pages: 280
Source: Library
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


GAAHHH, where has Kody Keplinger been all of my life?!

Contemporary isn't my favorite genre, but this book gives me hope that I will ADORE other contemporary novels just like this one. *silence* NO, I KID, *chuckles* but seriously, WHAT an awesome contemporary novel.

WHY THE DUFF GIVES ME HOPE

  • BIANCA and her hilariousness.
    • Who is Bianca? Why, everyone, she is the heroine of this novel! Armed with a cynical voice, sarcastic remarks, intellect, and tons of hilarity, how could I not like her? We're practically the SAME! I pretty much fell in love with her when she made her statement of teenagers can't possibly fall in love at this stage because love takes YEARS. THAT, my friends, is my mentality on love and Bianca stating my exact thoughts sold me on her!
  • Bianca's best friends are not dumb bimbos. YAAA to the AAAAY!
    • Going into the book, I completely expected that this novel would consist of Bianca's annoying "best friends" who use her, are hot, are completely dumb, and create drama. Yeah, COMPLETE opposite of that! 
    • Casey and Jessica (the best friends) are three-dimensional, lovable characters. SERIOUSLY. Their friendship with Bianca was something I totally adored throughout the whole novel!
  • This book was FILLED TO THE BRIM with panty melter moments. GOOD GOSH.
    • Romance, romance, romance! I cannot live without it. Wesley and Bianca's relationship started off really rocky, but seeing it blossom throughout the novel with their back and forth (HILARIOUS, if I may insert) banter and the events that allowed them to connect was just "EEEEP" worthy!
    • NOW, onto the panty melter moments. The sexual tension, hot kissy scenes, just YUM. Fans of  contemporary romance will REJOICE when reading this book, just like I have.  (I cannot say anymore, due to my fear of sounding inarticulate like this: SLAHJDJLDSHJ IT WAS SO GOOD AND HOT GIMME MORE.)
  • I finished this in a day. SAY WHHHAAA?
    • I kid you NOT that I, the slowest reader ever, finished this book in a day. It was SO addicting, I just literally could not put it down.
  • While The Duff has many of its light hearted moments, it also touched on some more mature subjects as well. Being able to mesh together more airy, lively scenes as well as serious topics in a novel is SUCH a big win for me. 

And, my friends, that is why The Duff gives me hope. Read this, be enlightened by its awesomeness, then come tell me about it on Twitter or through the comments.


6 lovelies:

Gianne said...

I have only read Kody's other book Shut Out but I enjoyed that one so much that I can't wait to dive into this one very soon. I'm so that there are contemporary authors are there making a difference in YA! I say out with the paranormal and in with the contemps for a little while.
Thanks for the awesome review!

Gianne said...

Kody Keplinger's books give me hope for contemporaries too. I've always been skeptical of them for the most part, although I'm not sure why. I think I read some awful ones way back when and wrote off that genre. John Green and Keplinger are convincing me otherwise!

Gianne said...

I need to get this now! I wanted to read this but your review is making me want to read it even more! XD I loved your review.




http://therandomranterer.blogspot.com/

Gianne said...

Your review reminds me that I need to read this book. LIKE NOW. :// PANTY MELTER. <3 Love the term. ;D EEEP great review, I totes need to read this!! I always love me some romances!

Gianne said...

I definitely need to get my hands on this book!! The main character sounds ah-mazing and totally likable. And this romance is sounding pretty hot as well. ;) I'm not usually a contemporary fan either, so you've convinced me that I need to pick this book up!


Thanks for the fabulous review, Gianna! <3


-Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

Gianne said...

I have this one, but haven't read it yet and NOW I WANT TO RIGHT NOW! Though I'm going to start Pushing the Limits -- The Duff will be next! I just read my first book by Kody not too long ago and I liked her style, so I'll definitely need to read this! I love panty melting moments!!!!!!!!!!!


Liza @ Book Crook Liza

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.