21 June 2012

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Overall Thoughts: 
Legend is a wonderfully written, captivating book. It has everything a dystopian thriller could dream of: heart racing action, intriguing plot, and awesome characters! However, being an insanely quick read at 305 pages, it lacked in world building and relationship development between our two main characters, June and Day. 

Told in alternate point of views, June and Day's voices were realistic and raw with emotions that leaped off the pages. If you're looking for a quick, engaging start to a dystopian series, look no further! Legend awaits you.

Genre: YA dystopia with a dash of romance
Links: Goodreads | Amazon
Pages: 305

For a more in-depth review, please continue reading below.  

_______________________________________________________________________________________



Book: Legend by Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pages: 305
Source: Bought
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

Legend is a book that totally went under my radar. I didn't find the cover to be that eye catching, but after seeing all the hype and excitement for the upcoming sequel, Prodigy, I just knew I had to get my hands on this book!

Was I disappointed? Just a bit. Did I enjoy it? Heck to the yes!

WHAT I LIKED:

  • The plot kept me on my toes! This calls for a, "YAY!"
    • When I'm reading a book, nothing satisfies me more than a plot keeping me on my toes. (That and well written steamy romance, but that's not the point here.) This story right here has everything from intriguing mysteries the government hides to absolutely surprising twists that left my mouth agape.
  • This book made me FEEL.
    • Already in the beginning, I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I used to think it wasn't possible for me to feel emotional from a character's death that I hardly knew, but obviously Legend is an exception! 
  •  Me gusta the action scenes. A LOT.
    • It is a very rare occasion when I'm thoroughly engaged in the action scenes. I tend to get bored easily.
    • However, Lu conducts a nice blend of action scenes throughout the novel which kept me breathless and dying to know what would happen next! To all the authors who struggle with writing action scenes, take note of Legend! Lu left me a very pleased reader at the end.
  • Is it possible to love a heroine this much?
    • June was one of the best characters I've ever had a pleasure to meet. Quick on her feet and not a total dim-wit, I loved reading about this girl. 
    • I think what I really enjoyed the most about her was her calculating, deductive thinking and her precise, dexterous moves in battle. She's too cool for me, man.
  • Relationship between Day and June? Win.
    • What I really enjoyed about the relationship between these two is that they're like two peas in a pod. Equally cunning and fast on their feet, they're the perfect match for each other! I also loved the conversations between the two when they were together.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

  •  Despite being a captivating, quick read, one downfall of this would have to be it was too quick of a read.
    • Personally, I could have used a bit more world building to see how everything got to be in Legend. It felt just a bit vague when I was reading this book, but seeing how Prodigy is a near 100 pages longer than Legend, I can only hope that Lu elaborates more on this in the next book.
  • Relationship between Day and June? Fail.
    • Sure, these two are fit each other like two jigsaw puzzle pieces, but the book was so short that it hardly allowed any more development between the two other than a strong, physical attraction to each other.
      • Not that the strong attraction to each other is bad, it would have been nice to see a bit more progression between the two.
 
Legend was pretty awesome. It's got amazing potential to what seems to be a great series. I personally think if Lu works more on elaborating the world building and relationship development, this series has got a really good chance of being the next big hit!




10 lovelies:

Gianne said...

I definitely just read your ENTIRE REVIEW. The short one was.. too short. ;)


YAY for books that make you FEEL. I SO need to pick this one up. Very soon. Aww, too bad it's a short dystopian! It's a dystopian--isn't it supposed to have LOTS and LOTS of world-building? :(


I love this review, Gianna! I do believe I like me some action, (LOTS of it) and some great characters as well. Especially if it's captivating! Yayy for Legend!
(You should get Prodigy at ALA if it's there. ;)) I can't wait to see your thoughts on Prodigy!

Gianne said...

:D That makes me glad to hear! And it is rather short, much to my dismay. :( I wish it did have more world building but I'm thinking that Lu is going to elaborate more on that in the next book... HOPEFULLY.

And thaannnk you, darling! <3 This book is totes filled with action, you got to read it. :) And I will! I'M GOING TO TRY. <3

Gianne said...

I totally agree with everything that you've said here!! I loved the action, but wanted more world-building. I think that would have been wonderful in the book. And I totally am on the same page with you about June and Day!! It's like the romance just barely began. And they're, like, perfect for each other! Hopefully this problem will be remedied in Prodigy [which you definitely need to get at ALA and share!]. Lovely review, Gianna!


-Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

Gianne said...

GAH, GIANNA. IT'S LIKE YOU CREPT INTO MY BRAIN AND OUT CAME THIS REVIEW! I seriously think our minds are on the same track because I agree completely. I LOVED June because she was so intelligent. I found the action scenes awesome. And while I did like June and Day together, I also had a couple of problems with them as well. OH--and I also thought this book was too short. It wasn't as developed as it could've been. Amazing review, Gianna! We even gave it the same rating. <3 :)

Gianne said...

D: I needed MORE romance in this book. MORE. I am a romance junkie, so it was a little sad to see the romance underdeveloped! And I know! Hopefully it WILL be remedied in Prodigy. :) And yes! I shall. *-*

Thank you, hun! :3 <3

Gianne said...

I KNEW IT I KNEW IT. We must be book twins! <3 o-o Dude, June was like amazeballs. :D I love how she figured things out. It's so unique! It's so cool to see we think the same way, up to point of the rating! XD <3

Gianne said...

Wow at the things you like and don't like about the book. So detailed! This book has been on my TBR for quite a while. Seems like I should grab a copy soon! Thanks for sharing your review. :)

Gianne said...

I really love Legend, I cannot wait for the movie either! And Prodigy... I'm itching to read it! We have the same thoughts for this one ;) Great review!


~JayWe Fancy Books

Gianne said...

XD I think I might have went a little TOO overboard in the details. I just wanted to get my opinion out there, y'know? :3 It's an awesome book, hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it! :)

Gianne said...

Great! I think I really need to do a trip to the library then... I like that part about fight being so well described A LOT. I admit I'm a sucker for martial arts and other fighting styles. And you make the heroine sound so awesome, too! :)


Hahahah I see the romance has left you with mixed feelings. IT's great that they match so well, but I'm sad to hear there's no time for more evolution on their relationship.


Looking forward to reading it~ <3

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.