27 April 2012

Review: Die for Me by Amy Plum

Book: Die For Me by Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 341
Source: Bought
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

Oh goodness gracious, I absolutely adored Die For Me! Where do I start?

Well first off, the characters! I really liked Kate. She's a reader, a lover of the arts, witty, just a fantastic heroine in all. I also liked how even when she was with Vincent, she didn't go gaga and still remained sensible in tough situations. She wasn't overbearingly whiny about her parent's death, and her grief over them seemed realistic and well-written. Jules is one of my favorite! Although just a bit rough in the beginning, he starts to sweeten up and just become so adorable.

Speaking of adorable, have I mentioned Vincent? He's absolutely amazing! He's everything you'd want in a boyfriend: sweet, protective, and caring. I love the interaction between the two. Even though it felt just a tiny bit rushed with hints of insta-love, their relationship is so cute and I'm hoping to see it develop into something even more greater!

Another thing I really enjoyed about Die For Me is the idea of revenants. It's a completely unique take on one of the paranormal genres (which I shall not spoil for anyone) and it's so interesting. I wished I could have seen a bit more of elaboration on the history of revenants, but I'll just have to hope to see more of it in the next book.

Although it started off a bit slow for me, the plot was engaging and left me breathless, especially towards the ending. It was completely action-packed and left me dying to know what was going to happen next. The ending was really sweet, and it wrapped up a lot of things. It didn't necessarily left me hanging with a cliffhanger but it did however left me dying for the next book. (Wow, my joke was so lame...)

In all, Die For Me is a thoroughly refreshing read with a fascinating take on something paranormal, wonderful characters that will grow on your heart, and a delectable forbidden romance, all set in the beautifully written Paris.



P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway celebrating my near 200 followers :) It's out of this world! Win IMMORTAL RULES, Masque, and more! ♥ It's also absolutely INTERNATIONAL (granted The Book Depository ships to your country!) Click the button below to enter!






3 lovelies:

bookworm105 said...

Great review! I'm going to read this soon and i'll see if i like it. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been hearing good things about this book. Thanks for the great review!
laura

Anonymous said...

Yay! I read Die for Me a few months ago. I found it interesting and engaging, but sadly I didn't love it as much as I first thought I would. Still, I'm very excited for the next book :)

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.