08 October 2011

Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Book: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 281
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Source: Bought
Links: Goodreads | Amazon
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. 

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. 
Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:
Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.
Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

Vampire Academy much, Jennifer? Really?

And to be honest, I don't mind. Despite the insane similarities between these two books, Half-Blood is its own original thing. Each character, in my opinion, has their own distinct personalities and background. The mythology was refreshing, and the plot was very well developed. The prose was smooth and flowing, and Alex's voice was fun to read.

The whole book, in its entirety, is breath-taking. Jennifer always manages to keep you surprised. Just when you expect something to happen, something entirely crazy and different happens! Half-Blood in one word would have to be unpredictable. (And, I like the unpredictable.)


I especially loved the chemistry between Aiden and Alex. Definitely hot. Jennifer sures knows how to write some good steamy scenes. My only complaint about their romance is the way it was portrayed. It didn't seem very "forbidden" to me, but still, it was awesome. 


You should definitely buy this book. It's fantastic, enthralling, and simply amazing. If you have a Kindle, you could get it for $3.99 as we speak! The paperback copy is being sold for $10.14 on Amazon, so go and get your copy today!


Rating: 5 Stars
Cover: Goodness gracious. I must admit, I do not like this cover at all. It looks like a picture uploaded and edited on Photobucket. Then again, you know what they say... Don't judge a book by its cover. 2/5 Stars.

3 lovelies:

Laura Massey said...

I loved this book! I've never read Vampire Academy though, so I didn't pick up the connection.

Gianne said...

Glad to see you liked Half-Blood ^.^ You should most definitely read VA though.

Mandy said...

I've seen this book around. The cover always threw me off. I mean, the picture is really pretty, but seems more like an abstract type wallpaper for your computer, not a book cover.

But anyway, it does sound sort-of Vampire Academy-ish. =/ But I'll have to check it out to get what you mean on it being it's own story.

Great review. Thanks for being honest. =)

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.