19 September 2011

Review: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Book: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz
Pages: 324
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Spoiler Free: Of course, of course
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.



Spellbound was a fascinating, captivating novel and I just adored every little bits about the (dare I say) "mythology" weaved into the story.

Emma. Eh. She was alright. My only problem was that she was a little bit clingy to Brendan (but he is the One) so I guess in a way, it was somewhat alright for her to act that way. Other than that, it was nice to see she wasn't one of those useless heroines and can fight back for herself when the situation calls for it. That was a plus.

The book does start off a little slow for me, but once things got going, it was exciting and I couldn't stop reading. Emma and Brendan are really cute together, even if they had a case of insta-love. I also especially loved Brendan! He's so adorable! My only problem with Brendan was that he acted completely bipolar to Emma, which annoyed me. He had a good reason for it, but I suppose it was just one of my pet peeves of books in general. My favorite part had to be near the ending. It was most definitely one of the best parts as it was well written and it made me, the reader, completely engaged into the book forgetting about my surroundings. It was heart pounding and it left me wondering as to what's going to happen! I was squealing all possible ways of squealing while reading this.

The ending was good, as it wrapped everything up. I don't suppose there will be a sequel seeing how it was ended, but I'm fine with it being a standalone.

Rating: 4.5 Stars
Cover Love? I'd rate the cover 3 out of 5 stars. It looks whimsical (which I like), but not so much eye catching where I'd actually pick up the book.

2 lovelies:

Cindy said...

I've been dying to read this, it sounds great! Glad you liked it...and I agree about the cover. Great review Gee :)

Gianne said...

Thanks :D

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.