23 August 2011

Review: Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman

Book: Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman
Pages: 292
Source: Review copy
Rating: 5 Stars
Spoiler Free: Yes
When high school junior Natalie - or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper - is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected - especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?


Ever heard of a movie called "She's The Man" with  Amanda Bynes? I LOVED that movie. In a sentence, a girl cross-dresses and enters into an academy only for boys, and ends up with a really hot roommate. This totally sounds like the book, and in a way, it is! However, Jody weaves this wonderful story into something of her own.

The plot, I admit, is cliche. It was rather predictable, as it had the regular evil blonde Barbie bitch (Regina George, anyone?) and the friends who help the protagonist survive the wickedness of the bimbo and the other hardships the protagonists faces.

However, that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying this book. There are books that have original plots, something that keeps me guessing, but they were so boring! Nothing exciting happened in those books, blaah! This book was the exact opposite. What I would predict would come true but in a totally surprising yet hilarious way. It's fast paced, which I also loved. No second of this book was wasted in being tedious and dragging.

The characters were so loveable! I love the trio, Chloe, Darcy, and Natalie! They are complete opposites of each other yet they all fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. Natalie was my favorite! She reminds me of Emma Stone when she's acting in character mode, beautiful yet awkward! And boy oh boy, was Natalie awkward (in a good way though. What girl wouldn't be awkward if they were cross-dressing in an all guys' school?) Reading all the crazy antics she went through in being a guy was laugh out loud funny! Her character developed very nicely throughout the book, making me a happy camper. Emilio is swoon-worthy, enough said. It was nice to take a break from the regular bad boys.

The ending was delightful. Everything wrapped up quite nicely.

All I can say is this was WOW! This book was pure fun sauce, and I can't wait to read Jody's upcoming (hopefully) novels such as this one.

Cover Love: Yes! Yes!! YES!!! I totally love everything about it. The big eyes, the mustache, the title font! This girl is exactly what I pictured Natalie like.
  

0 lovelies:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.