25 July 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Pages: 374 pages
Source: Bought with my own money
Rating: 5 Stars
Spoiler Free: Yes
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

The Hunger Games is a fast paced, engaging book with suspense bouncing off the pages that left my heart pounding and I couldn't control myself flipping the pages, as I wanted needed MORE. I started on page 1, and in an hour, I was already on page 136. I usually don't read that fast, seeing how slow of a reader I am. This just shows how addicting this book was. 

The writing was incredibly smooth and easy to read, not choppy at all. The plot was fast paced and left me breathless at some parts. The action, the adventure, every aspect was amazing. It's a definite page turner.

The characters are so awesome. Katniss is such a badass! She's amazing. She takes her sister's place in the Games, knowing it's practically sending yourself to death row, she's smart, she's not like "Ohmahgawsh, I'm scared *insert boy's name* save me!", and she knows how to defend herself. I also loved Peeta! Peeta was pretty much a mystery for me for like half the book, but still incredibly likeable. It's hard to understand what his true motives lie behind his actions, but I have an idea of what he's truly like. I can't wait to see how his character develops in the sequels.

I'll admit, the romance wasn't hot or anything of the sort. I couldn't tell whether it was a fabricated romance or if the relationship between Peeta and Katniss was real. It was definitely interesting though. Their relationship development throughout the book was thoroughly entertaining, and I was never bored at any time.


The ending wrapped up pretty good, in my opinion, with a small cliffhanger. I'll definitely get my hands on a copy of the sequel, Catching Fire, soon.
Have you guys read The Hunger Games? If so, did you like it or hate it? I'd love to know what you guys thought about this book as well. ^_^

5 lovelies:

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

I loved this book and the next but didn't care for the third one.

Gianne said...

Oh! I'm reading CATCHING FIRE now. :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

I agree. This book is amazing.

Gianne said...

Ooh great! ^_^ I'm reading the final book, and I'm a little sad that it's ending. But whats awesome is that it's being made into a movie!! :D

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.