20 July 2011

Review: Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires #1) by Rachel Caine

Book: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine
Pages: 248 pages
Source: Gift from a friend
Rating: 3 Stars
From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.
To be honest, I just liked it. It wasn't really an amazing or even a really good book. For the majority of the book, I had to force myself to keep on reading, hoping it would get better and more engrossing for me, but it didn't. This book was very predictable for me, and I admit, there were some points in which I was engrossed in it but other than that, it was just ordinary.

The writing, from what I believe, was kind of confusing. It was choppy and it was hard for me to understand at parts. I usually don't care about narrations, whether it's first or third person, but I was totally lost at half the book just from the way it was written. The plot was like a rollercoaster; at times, I just loved it: it was dramatic, twisting, interesting enough to have me keep reading the book. Other times, I was just so bored, and like I said earlier, I had to force myself to keep reading.

The characters were fun and amusing. None of them particularly stood out to me, so no favorites on this one. In the romance section, I found it to be rather puzzling. I thought Claire would end up with one guy, she ended up with another, and I was like "Ehhh?!" The romance was also very sparse, and when something good happened, it wasn't anything worth squealing for...

Like most people say, the ending is a definite, nail-biting cliffhanger but it didn't really surprise me because I had some sort of idea of what would happen (and I was right). I do find myself reading the second novel, but I honestly lost interest in a couple of chapters, so I stopped reading it. Maybe when I'm bored one day, I'll read it once more.

2 lovelies:

Unknown said...

I have never expected much from this book, but there are a lot of people that love it. I'm glad to see I am not alone :)

Gianne said...

I know! Lots of people LOVED this book, so I was super excited to read this but it just turned out to be like I said, ordinary.

Haha, nice, we're buddies ^_^

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.